Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Weekly whine

I tend to try to keep this upbeat, but I gotta whine a tad. Last night Salman Rushdie was in Bozeman. Damn. He's wonderful. I love his writing- Midnight's Children was a gorgeous book. I've always wanted to write with the depth and detail that he uses. I remember getting into a very heated debate with some Middle Eastern guys in college about The Satanic Verses. I still contend that unless you have read something, it is stupid to condemn the writer. I don't need some religious leader reading a book and telling me that it's bad. I can make those kinds of distinctions myself, thank you. And I'm not the kind of person who will take umbrage at a parody of religion- I'm more likely to be offended by crappy writing in general. And Rushdie has never disappointed me.

I'm very glad that he's out spreading the word to the masses, so to speak, and hope that he comes further west. Hope all of my peeps in Bozeman went to the lecture.

Plus he has the same birthday that I do. Yay!

No comments: