Friday, March 04, 2005

Insomnia

I'm not whining too loudly, but I hate not being able to sleep. This is one of those "wake up in the middle of the night and be stuck awake" kind of nights. So rather than lie there trying to sleep and getting all pissy about not succeeding, I thought I'd roll with it and do something else.

So, since I don't have a local family Dr who can proscribe Ambien for me on the spot (Ambien, sweet, sweet Ambien) I have to figure out a way out of this mental hidey hole of awakeness. And I don't want to get drunk. That makes me sleep poorly too.

Any suggestions would be nice. I just need to turn off my brain. I am on one of those cycles where the mental monkeys are pulling the squirrel's tail hairs and the squirrel is not running on the wheel but is eating the peanuts and is getting indigestion and throwing peanut shells at the mice, and the mice are not happy and are complaining...it's one big sleepless cluster fuck.

Anyhoo. At least we get the welcome news that Martha has returned home. Lucky Martha. It'll be interesting to see if she's like a cat and lands on her feet when dropped from the sky.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mother and brother are insomniacs. My mother does get Ambien, but it doesn't work on her.

But my brother was having a terrible time sleeping before a speech or something once, and so she gave some to him.

Now, you've seen him- he's 6'7". So, he takes the pill, and comes in a while later and sits on my mom's bed (an antique- sits high off the ground and my folks' room is on the second floor, above the living room), and he just starts chatting and chatting... He also starts rocking back and forth. My mother warns him not to fall, and he says, "Don't worry, there's just water down there."

My mom, of course is very concerned, but before she can do anything else, my brother spreads his arms and falls backward off the bed, into the welcoming "water."

My father, sitting downstairs watching television or reading the paper or something, hears the crash from upstairs (my brother's NOT the stick-tall type; he's built like a fridge), and goes running to see if something was wrong.

My brother ended up being unhurt, but jeez, Ambien didn't help HIM out, either.

So be careful what you wish for. Or not. I don't know what the moral is. ^_^

I hope you can sleep tonight!

slyboots2 said...

Oh- but Ambien and I have a relationship, you see. It is perfect and lovely. Sweet blackness folds around me, and I wake refreshed and new. It's soooo lovely. Even spouse loves the stuff. But I made do without. Numerous posts (spelling isn't so gud when tired, I find) and several games of Spider Solitaire assisted. Thank God I didn't have to go to work this morning, though. Probably would've hurt someone...

Anonymous said...

You say it like rending someone limb from limb is a BAD thing...