Friday, March 11, 2005

Fun doings in Seattle

If you're a local and like fun stuff- check out The Fiddler's Inn. Good pizza, adequate beer list, and atmosphere. We wish it was our local neighborhood tavern. Instead we commute. And the parking sucks (like everywhere in town).

We had dinner with friends last night- and I got to have a wonderful deep philosophical discussion with one of them. Discussion ranged around about the role of ego in life. That yes, ego is important, but shouldn't be allowed free range- then you become an asshole. He was discussing that if kept in proper perspective, ego works for the greater good. I was saying that ego is necessary if nurtured properly in order for an artist/designer to have the proper perspective on his or her talents and offerings to a job. It's one of the biggest challenges I've faced when managing- how to make sure that people have healthy regard for their work, without allowing them to become arrogant assholes. It's kind of a fun dilemna in a way- I loved working with younger professionals for that very reason. I could play a role in their professional development- hopefully positive (!), and help them get to the next level.

And now I occupy myself with dealing with flea infestations in cats. I suppose I gotta start somewhere!

No comments: