Monday, March 21, 2005

What I was doing in Montana

Whilst Spouse was in Bozeman, I was in Helena (about 90 miles away). I got to stay with my Dad and Step-mom (it was a really good visit). I also got to organize and oversee the disassembly of show cases in my Mother's former jewelry store. She didn't sell the cases when she sold the store- and the owner was relocating after selling the property. So, it was a pretty big deal. I'll post a photo to give an idea of the massive structures that I was dealing with. I had had to organize the whole venture from out here, which was a challenge. My original contractor bailed on me when he got a better job, and I also lost my shipper days before the whole thing started. So there was plenty of chaos.

But once we got started on Monday afternoon, it went pretty much without a hitch. I got to meet several really great contractor/cabinet makers. It was really exhausting, stressful and emotional, but it is also done. The cases are in storage and will hopefully be sold soon. It was hard dealing with the end of an era- the cases had been there since 1929, and a jewelry store had been on site since the building was constructed in 1923. It was hard to take apart my mother's dream. I realized that I had 30 years of association with the store. And now that's over. It's a really odd feeling. I just really hope that I can get a good price for them and that they will go to a good home.

No comments: