Saturday, March 05, 2005

Book report- Saturday early edition

It doesn't happen often, but I'm quitting. I refuse to spend another minute of my infinitely precious life on Hollywood Interrupted. It's a vile, ugly book. And that's coming from someone with a pretty high tolerance for that kind of thing (James Ellroy is a favorite, don't cha know). The venom with which this thing is written really reminds me of the nastiness of an Anne Coulter- and I have no use for that woman. Not even as a doorstop.

The authors have such contempt for their subject that I really wonder how they managed to string together over 300 pages without sputtering into incoherent rage and ending up on psychotropic drugs. It just brings to mind a couple of very worn out phrases- I apologize in advance for the cliches- 1) Hate is not a family value- I despise bumper stickers for the most part and usually giggle to myself at this one- but these guys are decrying Hollywood for the ugliness contained therein. But their book is written in such an ugly tone- so self-righteous and just nasty that I have to see some hypocrisy inherent in their message. 2) People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones- yeah- if you're trying to make people look mean, stupid and evil, and resort to a message of venom and hate, then how does it make you look? Connect the dots...not too pretty, boys.

No comments: