Monday, March 28, 2005

Ok- maybe some effect on dreaming

On TCM last night they showed La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc. The silent 1928 version- French. It was profoundly moving. I have rarely had such a response to silent films- despite my growing admiration for the form. This one was a humdinger.

The director did some interesting things- filming without any panoramic shots (take THAT Mr. DeMille), mainly close-ups from below. Lots of spartan costumes and interiors- no makeup (according to the host this was for reality sake)- and no regard for vanity. It was rough going. Probably the most psychologically naked movie I've seen in a very long time. I couldn't watch part of it (having to do with bleeding Joan). I am squeamish (I've never made it through Blue Velvet despite my admiration for David Lynch). But this was something else again.

But there were no raccoons. Thus I can't draw a direct correlation...

No comments: