Sunday, April 10, 2005

Sigh.....

I know that it's bad form to criticize past employers, but I can't stop myself. A former boss, who shall remain nameless was quoted in the Montana State University alumni magazine as saying,"Being a small company, you can't always hire the absolute top talent because they are so expensive." I really don't think that he understands how insulting that sounds. His team is great. They are relatively new in the field (under 10 years), but definately worth more than that. I thought they were top talent! He follows up with, "If we are selective, we have been able to find awesome talent right out of school, bring them into (redacted) and teach them how we do business here. " God. I find this sooo frustrating. It's insulting, and his team doesn't deserve this. They deserve more respect than that. They ARE awesome talent, and there were always plenty of people who applied for available jobs. Consequently, I always thought that we didn't have to choose any but the top applicants. And since Bozeman wages are shit anyway, there really wasn't much of a problem hiring really great people. Sigh...

Another troubling issue about this is that this is an alumni magazine. And plenty of potential clients see it. They will read this and probably interpret it to say that the company is cheap, and not producing quality design. I definately don't think this is the desired message. Someone needs to seriously muzzle the guy! Especially since the article didn't directly relate to his business, but was about his hobby. I'm so glad that I'm not there- it would be really hard not to have a minor aneurysm on the spot! A friend of mine suggested that I tell him how bad this was- but it would be a waste of breath. I tried to mitigate this kind of stupidity before, but to no effect. I always knew that he thought this, but never thought he'd put it in print...It really does piss me off though. I'm in a dither about it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

* A collective sigh echos through the Gallatin Valley... imminently followed by the menacing grumbles of a massive pyroclastic surge... *

slyboots2 said...

I know, honey. I'm sorry. Wish I was there to make it all better...sigh...