Friday, July 01, 2005

Ok now I'm bummed

And no, it's not cuz Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck got married. Good for them. Whatever.

It's the Sandra Day O'Connor thing. It is really too bad. She's quite a person. And I've grown to really respect her. I think that one of the most admirable qualities about her career on the Supreme Court has been her insistence to actually cast her lot with whatever side she believed in, rather than being an empty-souled ideologue. She has integrity. And I might not agree with every decision that she made (eg. the election of 2000), but I do believe that she puts the Constitution first, and politics second on most things (with the exception of election 2000...sigh...).

The worst thing possible has happened, however. Not only is her husband sick- and I really do feel bad for her- that's really not good. But also, now our boneheaded President gets to choose a Supreme Court Justice. Fuck. Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck. Bet he'll choose a real corker. I thnk that we can look forward to some really nasty confirmation hearings. Y'all think that the current ones look nasty, just wait. I predict that he'll choose some right-wing wingnut with a serious anti-choice agenda. It'll only get ugly from there. And that makes me very sad. I hate what that man has done to our country- viz a viz the division of ideology. It really doesn't have to be that way. I am hoping that by the time the next election comes around, there'll be more incentive towards moderation. Yeah, and pigs will fly. But I can hope, no?

No comments: