Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Shooting fish in a barrel

I admit, when I was about 11 years old I liked Unicorns. And Pegasuses. I drew them in art class. I read about them in silly books by Piers Anthony. At the time, I kinda knew that it was dorky, but it was the natural extension from the books about horses that I got from the library. I went through my horsy girl period- and since we lived in town and didn't have any way to care for a horse, I got over it. I also discovered that the kids who did have horses put a lot of work into the whole endeavor- and I was too lazy for ballet lessons even.

When I found this site with unicorn poetry(via some other site, I don't remember- possibly Gawker), I winced. These (and I'm assuming a lot, I know) women haven't gotten over their Unicorn phase. And don't look like they ever will. Creativity is good and all, but wow. I guess I never identified that closely with unicorns. Or pegasuses.




Look into her eyes
what do you see?
Do you see you there,
or something so different?

She is not like you,
her soul is too pure.
She is one of them,
she's a unicorn.

Do you know,
what a unicorn is?
Do you know,
where they go to play?

She knows, look into
her all knowing eyes.
She has seen them play,
and she was seen them laugh.

She is a unicorn,
far different from you.
I am with her now,
because I'm one too.

4 comments:

(S)wine said...

Fucking weak. Weak, weak, weak. These women ought to go back to whatever the feck they were doing before they began to write. Hopefully, reading.

slyboots2 said...

The mean side of me comes out when I read this kind of stuff and realize that it's probably some 40ish largish kind of virginal woman responsible. I want to shake her, tear off her unicorn purple sweatshirt and lead her bleary ass into a shall we say, adult life.

And then I remember Dawn in Welcome to the Dollhouse, and I get very sad inside. These women are shut ins who read all of the books about unicorns ever written. Over and over.

(S)wine said...

Someone throw Dostoevsky's "Notes from the Underground" through their feckin' shut-in windows. I feel no pity for them. They're also the ones crying "woe is me, 'cause I'm such an artist and no one appreciates it."

Right, then.

slyboots2 said...

God- the bracing shock of Dostoevsky would probably kill the poor dears. But I suppose it would no doubt do the trick. We could always chuck Austen or a Bronte in afterwards as a bandaid.