Monday, July 18, 2005

Eternally optimistic

Well, I thought that went very well. And that's not just the hard ciders that I had with lunch talkin. They were the kind of folks who I really enjoy working with. So, with fingers figuratively crossed, I await the call.

And in the meantime, I listen to Sophia Choi acting all disgusted when talking about some fool in Australia who got his nose bitten off in a bar fight over the movie Sin City. She's all, "Can you belive this?" And I'm all, "Babe, you make a living reading a teleprompter about those kind of things. It's your bread and butter- and editorializing isn't gonna make you sound any more erudite."

Ha ha. And now for another hard cider. I've earned it. (or so I'll say.) I'll go out on the deck, enjoy the fresh sea breezes and watch the young roofers next door. They aren't wearing shirts. This could be better entertainment than Sophia Choi any day. Not to mention the goofy guy she's on the CNN with at the moment.

(it's probably a really good thing we have no tonic, or the Sapphire in the freezer would suffer for my sins.)

7 comments:

(S)wine said...

Awww...I've worked briefly with Sophia Choi. She's not your typical prompter-reading head. Neither is Robin Meade--if you're up that early.

slyboots2 said...

Ok then- I'll revise my opinion of her if you say so- no doubt you know plenty that I don't. Methinks since I'm in Pacific time zone that Robin Meade might be a tad early for me. But that could change if I get a job and have to actually rise with the birds.

(S)wine said...

As a general rule, the slightly more mature anchors, especially on CNN, are actually pretty well seasoned journalists. Seriously. MSNBC is notorious for hiring bubble-headed blondes who look good and deliver very well...but who don't write a lick of their script. Insider secret: Chris Mathews (of Hardball and the Chris Mathews Show) has never, ever, EVER written a single word of his script. He's been a "star" for over ten years now, he has written numerous books and columns, and still...STILL doesn't bother even with his intros/outros. Lazy, rich, fat-ass.

slyboots2 said...

And I always thought he was a dork. Glad to know my spidey sense wasn't all off.

(S)wine said...

I don't know...I mean the guy is an unbelievable vault of knowledge and information, not just political--he's a HUGE movie buff; he'll fucking quote or reference shit from the Dada movement, or silent era, or Fellini, or Bergman, etc. etc. I think he actually transcends the "dork" label via his intellect, but...but...he's still a rich, fat swine who won't bother to write two graphs for an intro to a segment. (I had to write all his shit during my stint as his producer from '94-'00)

He's much like a little boy, still. He has sort of a pure innocence about, so I cannot totally hate the man. Now Geraldo...now we're talking.

slyboots2 said...

I've always thought that Geraldo has a head shaped like a potato. I came up with that as a child, and it's really stuck with me.

So Matthews would be great at a cocktail party. But I find him insufferable on the air.

It's cool to hear about them as though they're real people- TV people seem so bloody processed. I forget that they are human sometimes.

(S)wine said...

Mathews (note the one T) is great fun at cocktail parties. He's got a big head, though...he just bought a $10 million home on Nantucket. What can I say, different social class, hey?

Remind me to one day tell you what an awesome man Tim Russert is. I directed his CNBC show for years and it was the best gig ever.