Friday, July 08, 2005

So last night

While we relaxed post drive (I think I picked up the flu on the trip- so feel a leetle icky), and watched last week's F1 Race, and recap of yesterday's Tour, I looked through my old High School yearbooks. It was the first time in over a decade that I've ventured there. I found them in the boxes of books I sorted through while at the ranch. (I'm proud of myself- I donated over 5 boxes to the library up there- I blame Scott for the inspiration.)

So it was odd seeing those faces. These people were my world. Some good, some rotten. And now some dead and some forgotten. I wonder if I would recognize any of them today. And vice versa. I must say that other than not having 80s puffy hair, and a few pounds on my frame, I don't look all that different (I think that not having kids has kept me pretty youthful). But I'm imagining that the guys that I thought were sooo hot back in the day might look rather nasty with extra poundage and less hair.

I spent time reading what was written in the books too. It made me kinda sad- I think that if I hadn't been such an angry, unhappy little wreck, I could've made better friends of some of those people. They were pretty nice. But at the time, I was very invested in the feeling of being the outsider. Thank God I didn't know about The Cure or The Smiths at that point- I probably would've been a Goth. And that would've been really rough.

It's just funny seeing all of those people who really, really mattered to me back in the day. I can't even remember many of them. Even past boyfriends. (some of those still make me shudder, though). I think that I was just too damned serious at too young of an age. Too intense. Too busy looking for someone to save me. Too lacking in the ability to not care.

No comments: