Monday, July 11, 2005

And furthermore

Part of my nostalgia tour 2005, I'm re-watching movies of my youth. Today is Blue Velvet. I gotta admit- I never made it all the way through the first and only time I attempted it before. The creepy atmosphere was too much for me, and I failed. Probably has a lot to do with being in Missoula, living in the Sacajawea Lodge at the time.

Or maybe I was just more of a wuss then. And Spouse saw it in High School. What a man he was! He was obsessed with Isabella Rosselini at the time, along with Louise Brooks. But he married a tall blond. I don't get it. But I'm sure as hell not complaining.

And he shares a birthday with David Lynch, and Federico Fellini. I share mine with Salman Rushdie. I love facts like that. Meaningless.

But yeah- Blue Velvet. Kyle was a pretty puppy. And overall, it's visually stunning.

Tomorrow I'm planning on watching The Young Poisoner's Handbook. Then I'll drift through The Story of Adele H. All in a good week's work.

6 comments:

(S)wine said...

"Baby wants to fuck Mama...baby wants to fuck Mama...."
-Frank

slyboots2 said...

"Fuck Heineken- Pabst Blue Ribbon!" Frank

Yes, Hopper is the master of understatement.

(S)wine said...

No, no no...it's: "Heineken? FUCK HEINEKEN...Pabst Blue Ribbon FUCKER!"

now that's more like it.

Also: "Hey man...I'll fuck anything that mooooves."

classic.

slyboots2 said...

Right, right. Helps if I get my Lynch quotes accurate- I admit- I was feverish and dazed by it all...and looking for Bob to make a cameo. But I did spot a continuity error! (thank you OCD!)

(S)wine said...

Bob came in later, in Twin Peaks, yes? I haven't seen Blue Velvet in 15 or so years. Amazing which quotes stick in my head. I don't remember continuity errors. Although the likes of Scorsese (and perhaps Lynch) love doing that on purpose, so who knows?

slyboots2 said...

Yeah- Bob was with Twin Peaks. The atmosphere of Blue Velvet was just so similar in many ways, and I wouldn't have been suprised to see him. The nightmare images were very akin to T.P. I really liked it this time and didn't chicken out halfway.