Friday, July 08, 2005

I'm back, and it was fun.

So now it rains. We got back last night after a pretty quick 10 hour drive. MT was good. We saw the new baby niece (love her very much- and appreciate that someone else in the family had first baby). We saw a very green state (unusual this time of year). Got to see a fireworks display in Billings bankrolled by the Montana Tavern Owner's Association (my family is part of that group- I was so proud)- and heard "Proud to be an American" - and tried not to giggle too hard about the whole stereotypical nature of it all.

It was good to get away from my job-free prison. And no, no good news yet on that front. I'm still waiting.

We did see something kind of nasty. We were driving the back roads from Billings to Helena (via Martinsdale on State Route 294, fyi) and saw a disturbing car wreck. We wouldn't have noticed the car on the other side of the road in the ditch on its top if there weren't 4 sheriff's cars there. And I knew that the Audi had at least one dead person in it- no one was trying to get someone out. That's a good indicator of that kind of thing. Spouse figured out the car type- the wheels. I didn't get a good look. Didn't want to see anything. But then we got the real confirmation that someone was good and dead. We passed the ambulance a bit later- dawdling along, without lights on. And that was that.

The next day at my Mother's ranch, we saw in the paper that a 22 year old guy from Clancy had wrecked his car at 4 AM the night before. We passed the scene around 10:30. So it took that long for them to discover the car. It made me very sad. I can only hope that he died quickly, and didn't suffer too much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad we didn't see something like that. Very sad. But we did see a moose eating right next to I-90 near St. Regis.

Wasn't all the green strange? I haven't seen it like that for a long time. My brother won't be working fires this year...

slyboots2 said...

Yeah- green in July. And not just lawns. And we also saw assloads of Bear Grass on the eastern side of the Divide. It looked like snow. I haven't seen the likes of it since I was very young. Probably before you were even born! My dear yung 'un.

We also saw lots of Elk. And a Yaak family (there's a crazy rancher up near Mom who raises them).