Monday, July 17, 2006

There be pirates!

We added to the box office last weekend. I enjoyed it just fine. But thought that the plot was alarmingly similar to The Empire Strikes Back. Tell me that I'm wrong. I dare you. Better back it up, too. Because I come armed to this debate.

-unresolved romantic triangle.
-bad overwhelmingly favored.
-rakish hero in dire straights- possibly dead.
-disregard for the laws of gravity (Empire=space stuff, Pirates=round spinning things).

I'll stop there. But it's all interesting. I'll be fine with any similarities as long as there aren't any fucking Ewoks in the final installment. If there are, I'll probably burn something down. Probably something with a pirate motif, if available.

2 comments:

(S)wine said...

despite my love for Johnny, i have been forever scarred by this fucking ride in 1981, and refuse to add to Bruckheimer's bank account. also, i don't really remember the plot of Empire Strikes Back. Just images of stormtroopers shooting shit at a group of badly-dressed (for the future, that is) bums and some chick with cinammon buns for hair.

slyboots2 said...

There is truly nothing new in Hllywood. And the repitition of plotlines isn't likely to piss off a younger generation who wasn't weaned on the Star Wars teat. So, they won't get it. But I expected a little more from the critics...because I'm an optimist. Silly me.