Tuesday, July 25, 2006

She had a hard time walking. Her ankles hurt. They were always swollen. One of them was deformed. She was a big lady. Very big. Which can't have helped.
She didn't take very good care of herself. Her hair wasn't styled in any particular way. But it was always clean. She wore elastic hairbands. I stole them. She wore hairnets. I thought they were funny.
She was a wonderful cook. Her chicken noodle soup was legendary. I've never tasted the like. Especially the noodles. She would cut them and place them on clean sheets on top of ironing boards to dry. She would shout at me, "Quit mooching the noodles!" I don't know how she knew. It was probably obvious- I'm sure it was the only time I was quiet.
She loved The Dating Game. At night they would watch tv in the darkness, while nursing monstrous huge drinks. One each. Hers was cherry vodka and 7Up. His was Old Grandad and 7Up. I would get a sip of hers if I asked. It was yummy. His wasn't.
On Sunday, we would watch Wonderful World of Disney together. I would follow her around when she cleaned the motel units. She convinced me that I was helping.
I loved her beyond compare. Her disappearance was sudden, unprepared, and ultimately devastating. Not only to me. But to many of us left behind. No one stepped forward and took her place. I kept expecting it, and it never happened. I kept looking, and found no one. It's hard to tell a 6 year old not to have hope.

3 comments:

(S)wine said...

no one ever takes their place.]
except, in strange ways, the ones who have been affected by their presence--and who can write about them, and keep them alive.
good job, you! this one is along the lines of what i like to read.

slyboots2 said...

Thanks! These are kinda tough. It's hard to render them with the kind of dedication, skill and respect that is due. Not to mention the emotions that they conjure up...

(S)wine said...

yea.
so to whomever says: "writing is easy" i say...sure, SHIT-WRITING is easy.
not only is this kind of stuff difficult, but one must possess an incredible memory; otherwise one sort of wishy-washes and farts around in melancholy when writing.
it's tough tough.