Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Kids are strange little beings

Since I am merely an observer, I can be puzzled by them. We were at dinner with an out of town friend the other night. We ate at a perfectly crappy restaurant on Alki called Coyote's. I suppose we should've predicted that it would be crappy- it's named Coyote's. And it sports a logo with a howling coyote. Having lived in the SW for 6 years, I've seen plenty of the tarted up coyote logos. And Kokopele. Don't even get me going on Kokopele. Fucking Kokopele...
So the waitstaff were the pretty idiot type- "you ordered a drink? I forgot in the 3 feet I had to travel to the bar. So I didn't do anything. But I'm pretty!"
And the food was crappy.
But there was this child, see. He was dressed up in full-on Darth Vader regalia. The only thing missing was the helmet. He was about 4 or 5. He kept dropping his light saber on the ground. Because his latex black gloves were slippery. He was proudly Darth. It was amazing and kind of scary at once. I am always impressed and a tad nonplussed when kids have that kind of fixation on something. I know one who was that way about tractors. I think he wanted to be a John Deere when he grew up. Kenga was that way about cars. I think it's mainly a little boy thing, too. I'm not very familiar with little girls being that focused on something like that at that age. Except for the tribe of horsey girls. They want to be horses when they grow up. But that phenomenon usually strikes when they're a little older.
I just wanted to be a ballerina. And an actress. And a lawyer. And a musician. Never mind that I'm clumsy as hell, have no musical talent whatsoever, and am not a very good actor. The lawyer part is still playing itself out. But the rest...sigh...compromises were made.
I wonder if that little boy will grow up to be Darth Vader?

4 comments:

(S)wine said...

actually the first one was obsessed with drawing at that age. and now she's an architect.

slyboots2 said...

Oh- I was going to be an artist too. That one kind of came true- in a fashion, I suppose. I just lack the balls to actually do it...literally and figuratively.

bedmonster said...

Oh, I DESPERATELY wanted to be a Ghostbuster or Ninja Turtle when I was a little girl. So not fair.

I did get a lot closer to the Ninja part of Ninja Turtle than I ever thought I would, though. ^_^

slyboots2 said...

You did! And I never did grow up to be a ballerina. Hell, I count it a good day if I don't trip on air. Or fall up a flight of stairs. It just wasn't in the cards. But I love the whole "I can be anything I want- and I want to be a fire truck" thing that kids have.