Thursday, July 13, 2006

And a final note for the day

I'm going to say something positive. Having nothing to do with fat chicks, drivers suffering from psychotic breaks whilst on the road, or corrupt politicians.

Yesterday Grand Prix came out on DVD. I haven't made it to the store to buy a copy yet, but will probably do so this weekend. If you haven't seen it, Netflix it now. John Frankenheimer directed it, and it's an absolute classic of the motor racing genre. Better by far than any of the other ones that I've seen. Including Le Mans, with Steve McQueen (which I thought was a bore). Kind of silly plot in parts, but lovely action sequences. And real drivers were used- as well as the tracks, etc. I've been waiting for this one for a while.

Now if the rest of the movies on my list could make their ways into circulation...
(Prospero's Books, Double Life of Veronique, Twin Peaks- Season 2, Night Gallery Season 2.....)

7 comments:

bedmonster said...

Hooray for movies you like! I like movies, but can't think of anything I really want to see on DVD. *shrug*

Boo for being alone too long. That's what sucks about actually being attached and attracted to your husband. ;)

(S)wine said...

yea. agree. i like that one.

RONIN said...

Cool. I haven't seen Grand Prix in years. I actually kinda liked Le Mans though. McQueen carried it for me.

As for the others, I couldn't really get into Prospero's Books (but I loved The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover), never saw Veronique, also waiting for Twin Peaks 2, and would like to rent Night Gallery.

(S)wine said...

i agree w/Ronin re: Le Mans.
why Twin Peaks Season 2??
y'all are bizarro.
I liked Season 1.]
"what up Bob?"

slyboots2 said...

Cuz it's not out on DVD yet. Ditto Night Gallery Season 2. If either of the first seasons were on video in my house, I'd have worn them out by now.

Prospero's books is the most visually challenging and chaotic movie I've ever seen. I want to see it in digital format, because video sucks. I don't like The Tempest very much (my least favorite Shakespeare, I'll admit), but it was such an amazing movie to watch.

And Keislof Keislowski is in the top 5 of my favorite directors. So it's hard not to have Double Life in the collection.

cb said...

hey off the subject: where to buy old school manual (or electric) typewriters, not too expensively, in and around the phoenix area.

my bro is curious (he lives in scottsdale).

slyboots2 said...

We hunted for them at the thrift stores. And it was, indeed a hunt. The Value Villaige on McClintock (bewteen Phoenix and Scottsdale and the Salvo in South Phoenix (I think it's near Central) were really good for vintage stuff like that (or was 8 years ago when we lived there). But he shouldn't pay more than $10. K's rule was always under $5. But I'm thinking that inflation might be an issue.