Monday, July 03, 2006

Ranting- commute style

Because I have been driving more, I have gotten to enjoy my fellow-drivers. I posted the following about what I have been encountering far too often:

Hey- guess what, hero- your car has a turn signal! It's on the steering column. You probably touch it when you clean off your windshield. Or when it rains. Or maybe you bump into it accidentally, and hear that strange clicking sound, and it confuses you. But eventually you hit it again, and the scary sound stops.

Well, call this a tutorial. Because I'm tired of trying to play psychic on the highway and on the streets. I do not know that you are going to turn there. Just because you are veering in the general direction of my lane doesn't make your intentions clear. It just looks like you're drunk.

So, here's the driving tutorial. When you are going to turn somewhere, or change lanes, hit the clicky thing on the steering colum in the direction the little pointy arrows show, and tell me where you are going. I promise that I will respect your decision, and make room for you. I will not t-bone you. I will not in any way hit your car. It will be civilized and pleasant. Your life will improve. Mainly because you won't be scaring the crap out of other drivers and pissing them off by needlessly making them play "magic 8 ball" to try and guess your intentions.

4 comments:

(S)wine said...

it's a good thing you don't live in S. FL. We made it through 5 years down there--butterfly ballots and all.

slyboots2 said...

I guess that I still remain a MT girl at heart. Phoenix was a little intense- that's where I learned to keep my gestures to myself (they shoot people with some frequency there). Around here, it's just keeping an eye on the lane creepers. Like I said- turn signals can be such a boon.

(S)wine said...

Phoenix is shite compared to L.A. and now, D.C. It's amazing how close you come to dying on the beltway now. every day.

slyboots2 said...

Oh there were moments. People just act stupid in their little self-propelled boxes. Like there is no tomorrow. And no force of gravity controlling their momentum.
City traffic just sucks.