Thursday, June 22, 2006

Sporty Mcsport Sport

The World Cup is on in the background. I know that I totally slammed it earlier, but since I found out that I can watch it at home and not brave drunken revellers, I thought it might be interesting. Funny enough, it is interesting. But not in the way that's intended.

It just drums in why I really hate team sports that involve running around together and trying to get goals. Really hate them. It's personal.

In Junior High, I had my nose broken by an errant soccer ball to the face. Now this would seem to be an isolated kind of occurance, right? Not exactly. I am the world's worst player. Always. Any team sport. Name one. I'm the total spaz that will inevitably be chosen last, after the chick with one leg, and with due cause. I would choose me last too. There really is nothing more pitiful on God's green earth than watching me attempt to play volleyball. Unless it's watching me try to play soccer. Or basketball. Or basically anything.

And the odd thing is that I have amazing hand/eye coordination for things like art. Thus the art degree. But with sports, it's a lost cause. I have accepted this as my lot in life.

And solo sports are ok- skiiing was fully respectable. Not excellent, but not embarrassing, either. Ditto track. (if you leave out the time I hooked a toe around a hurdle and bit it during a meet- minor embarrassment- we'll not count that)

But gymnastics....sigh...that was my true nemesis. First off, in my defense, I am tall. Quite tall. For a girl. And gymnastics is built for the stumpy girls. I can stand flat footed and wrap my hands around the tall bar on the uneven bars. This was not the intent of the uneven bars. So, my question is, "Why ask the equipment to bear an unreasonable burden?" Meaning me, of course. The gym teachers- a stumpy little bunch, the lot of them, weren't sympathetic. It was horrific. I broke my arm on the parallel bars. Seriously. I fell off of them. And had a cast up to my shoulder for 6 weeks. I also cut part of a finger off on the parallel bars- just moving them. I figured at that point that the bars had it out for me. It's hard to just walk off 8 stitches and a permanent sensitive scar (it still feels icky sometimes).

So. That's the saga of me and sports. Why I hate them. Unless there's an internal combustion engine involved, or a bicycle. Or even helmets. I kinda like football. But I never humiliated myself playing football. So no adverse associations there.

Oh- and soccer also conjures up keep away. I hated keep away. Because I was also inept at keep away. Go figure. Lanky, tall, pitiful, clumsy thing...

5 comments:

(S)wine said...

one could argue that "sports" which involve any kind of race between MACHINES (and not humans), don't really count for much, either. Depending on improved technology from decade/century to decade/century doesn't much say for the human condition. I rather prefer to go out and play, than sit and watch a bunch of either rednecks or Antonio Pussigotinis win the same damn races year after year. By the way, I took a shot in the teeth from a charging midfielder when i was 9 years of age, pulverizing my left front incisor (which has since been rebuilt) and it still hasn't turned me off to footie. Took many tennis balls in the...balls, and I still love playing. Boo-hoo to you F1/Nascar freak-a-zoids. Anybody can drive like an idjit 200 mph and slam themselves into a fucking wall. Boo for dissing the truly Universal sport out there--futbol!

(S)wine said...

p.s. you KNEW i just had to chime in this one. you just KNEW it.

slyboots2 said...

Yeah. Well, perhaps I am a tad wimpy about getting my nose smashed by soccer balls in the face...and the broken bones thing and all. But the freedom to drive. Faster than hell. On a road course. That's just yummy.
Universal sport my ass, by the way- that's allegedly baseball. I say allegedly. I maintain that it's sex. That's all.

(S)wine said...

sex isn't sport.
it's all out war.
and baseball? cricket, ye bastard!
(it' ok...i still like you)

slyboots2 said...

Cricket. Now there's an inexplicable thing for you. Seriously. Talk about esoteric alchemy...
But I do hate Baseball, and only brought it up to be obnoxious.