Saturday, June 24, 2006

Some call him ...Tim

There was this guy I worked with in the retail world back in the day. It was the bookstore of a very large university that I attended. I was temp. He was perm. It was interesting. He really made me think about life.
The guy was in the receiving room for the clothing section. We sold more stupid crap with the university insignia and logo than is healthy, even in a capitalist society. Stupid, stupid crap. Cured me forever of wanting to announce to the world that I am an alumni of ...(blank) college. And I would have to choose between two institutions anyway.
This guy was in his 30s and lived at home. He had a cat named Miles. He was in a band. They were tremendous. Very, very good. He was probably the most damaged soul I had encountered and not dated at that point. Very sad. All he did was put clothes on hangers and listen to music. And play music. And live at home. Seemed to inhibit a grey-scale world of low-grade expectations and depression. Only time I ever saw him really live was on stage. And he was quite good at writing songs, too.
I moved on, deciding that the retail world sucked. And I never saw him again. I just remembered him last night. Wonder if he's still stuck in the stock room...or if he has finally moved on.

2 comments:

(S)wine said...

did you say he had a perm? sweet!

slyboots2 said...

Poor Tim. All dressed up, and only to the stockroom to go.