Friday, June 30, 2006

And the bad news

I love the Tour de France. I have for a very long time. It rivals F1 in my afffections, which says something. I think it's a profound thing to watch, and have been known to get up at absurd hours, with full hangover to watch. It's important to me.

So the news that the field has been gutted by doping allegations, and team member withdrawals is really bad. Very, very bad. Especially in the post-Lance world. I wanted to see how Ullrich and Basso did without him around. I wanted to see the race, period.

I heard rumors that Tyler Hamilton was also implicated. We have a friend who used to be a professional racer, and he maintains that they all dope. And always have. He named names once. But I won't reveal. It's heresay, nevertheless. I still love the sport, and will start watching tomorrow anyway. It's part of July 1.

But damn.

4 comments:

(S)wine said...

sadly, i agree w/your friend. i too have a has-been-pro who maintains the same.
sigh...

slyboots2 said...

It looks pretty shady and ugly. It'll be one hell of an interesting Tour, though- what with the favorites out of the running. I'd really like to see Hincapie do well- he was such a loyal rock for the Lance to lean on.

(S)wine said...

your wish is at least temporarily coming true.

slyboots2 said...

Go George!!! Viva La Discovery Team! (boy- they got screwed- buy the team, and see the celeb lead take a powder.)