Thursday, June 08, 2006

Now I remember what I didn't like about The Sheltering Sky- it's one of the fucking most depressing books I've ever read! That's it!!! The movie made me want to open a vein. Even if I did get a close up of Malkovich's winky. Or a winky double. But my money is on the real thingy.

Bowles supposedly hated the movie. I really have to wonder- does an author ever like a movie adaptation of his or her book? Seriously. I think volumes could be filled with the rantings of authors whose books haven't adequately been filmed. It's a crapshoot. And they get the money. But having a book baby adapted by a hack- shudder...

Then there're the authors who are just deluded (if not denuded) into expressing inappropriate enthusiasm for the movie version- Anne Rice, I'm talkin to you, chick- Queen of the Damned pretty much blew ass, and you would know it if you got your head outa your ass on that one. It really, really sucked. Up there with Herbie- Fully Loaded in the pantheon of ass-blowing movies. Really inspired severe lower GI cramps and everything. And food had nothing to do with it. It was all in the movie. Thank you Anne. Glad the movie made you all happy- but I'll sure as hell view anything you endorse with some serious scepticism.

I guess I need to admit right now that Anne was a guilty pleasure for many years. Until she became overweening, and decided that editing wasn't necessary. That every word was sacred. Every word was good. Every word was sacred in her stupid books. Then I got over it. But every once in a while, those silly movies inspired by her books are on the telly. Then because Kenga is a perverse little pill, we might wind up watching them. He loves him the really bad movies. Like I loves me the 30's comedies starring William Powell. Mine are better, though.

And now back to the morning- I'm being short-term bathrobe girl this morning. But I must resist the temptation today- I have a vet appointment for Big Kitty's teef. They look pretty ratty. Poor Big Kitty.

4 comments:

(S)wine said...

why do u torture yourself?

slyboots2 said...

Because I inherited the whole world o' Catholic guilt. It is second-hand, but still pretty damned potent.

(S)wine said...

ah well...at least you're not part of Opus Dei.

slyboots2 said...

Hells no. Fuck them too. Silly religious zealots. No- I just got the guilt. None of the fun toys that go with it.