Saturday, June 24, 2006

The rules

These aren't about trapping some poor sucker into marrying you. That is an unsavory business of entrapment. Should be illegal.
These are about employment. Now that I'm facing it down again, and planning on staying in a job for a while, I have thought about things that I am willing and unwilling to accept.

-No naked bosses (unless I work for Kenga- fat fucking chance). I saw one of my bosses naked once- we were taking water aerobics (ironic for the water phobic me, I know), and she had no shame. And no muscle tone. Hard to look her in the eyes after that.

-No buddy bosses. None. They are not your friend. They can be a lovely acquaintance. But the power structure must be respected. They might be forced to fire your ass someday, and it could be soooo ugly if they are personally involved. And they can use personal stuff against you if they have it. Fuck that.

-The same rule kind of applies to co-workers. I have been stabbed on several occasions, and have learned to keep certain things to myself. Like blogging. And other aspects of my personal life that might be used against me. A healthy dose of paranoia on the job front can really be a good thing. CYA.

-Team rules- I don't have a huge ego on the job front. That's reserved for when I'm a civilian. (right...unless I'm playing sports- then I'm pitiful) Shit just needs to get done. If I do it, I can make it fit my opinion of doing it right. And if I screw up, I'll fess up. It's better that way.

-Boundaries- they are important. I am not one of those "anything for my job" kinda girls. Not anymore. It never seemed to help. I always felt put-upon, because those who requested more from me didn't reward for same. So fuck that. If it's important for the job to start encroaching on home life and outside, then it's not the job for me. Sanity is more important.

That's all that I can think of right now. More will probably occur to me later. Or not. Depending on how inspired and how keyed up I get before I show up for work next week. I have grown so used to the eternal round of interviews that they don't freak me out anymore. But the actual job is scary...

2 comments:

(S)wine said...

now now...the world--even the working world--is grey. nothing can be set in stone. i take the opposite approach: show up naked, bang the boss and co-workers, exercise your dictatorial privileges (work is NOT a democracy) at every possible turn, let the job seep into your daily home life--on what else can you blame your deficiencies and idiosyncracies and bad moods?

ok ok....i kid.

slyboots2 said...

I just have gotten tired of seeing my soul sapped away bit by bit by nasty, bitter bosses and co-workers. I also have gotten tired of having their ugliness rammed up by hiney. (I gotta be really, really, puking drunk to enjoy that kind of treatment! BWAHHAHAHA)So I writes it all down to remind myself. Not to drink the fucking koolaid...