Friday, June 30, 2006

First day down

It went well. The boss lady doesn't have time to really deal with me yet. But I'm pretty sure that'll change rapidly. Which is a good thing, as I can only spend about 1 day figuring out stuff, and then will get bored. The cool thing- it only took me 45 minutes to get there and 45 minutes to get home. That is better than I had thought. I'm still looking for a vanpool so that I don't have to do the driving, but that'll come with time, I suspect.

Another cool thing- I have worked for several Fortune 500 companies in the past, and never experienced this before- even though I lack a phone, I have full access to the computer system- at least it seems that way- in a way that I have NEVER experienced in the past. The tools, and they are a plenty- are right there. And they're easy. And they work. There isn't any of that "you'll get access to that in a couple of days after some IT guy reviews your request" kind of crap. Very nice.

So far, things look fine. I am not letting myself go overboard with praise and relief- it's still young. But I have hope.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I have full access to the computer system- at least it seems that way- in a way that I have NEVER experienced in the past. The tools, and they are a plenty- are right there. And they're easy. And they work."

Sounds like you work at a place with a Mac network. :)

Just a reminder: no matter how anonymous you think this blog is, you now work for the Empire, and they will find it. As a friend reminded me, don't get "dooced" (http://www.dooce.com/about.html).

(S)wine said...

hey, listen to this: i have access to the Motha of all Databases here. I can move shite around, if I please, via action queries that, at the push of a button, can ruin this whole joint.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

slyboots2 said...

But you, El, are a man of ethics, and would never, never consider using your power for evil. Only good, right? Or is that not one of the rules of El Charolastra? (don't tell me- you're a secret culture jammer...)

(S)wine said...

"good" needs to be qualified.
as for a man of ethics? i think you must have me confused with the other El. El Chupacapra

slyboots2 said...

Well, something's stopping you from pushing the button. Either it's ethics, or a hearty dose of fear. I prefer to think the former. Just because you're my hero. (cue Bette Midler)