Saturday, May 06, 2006

You died with all of your mysteries (and miseries) intact. I never bothered or had the courage to ask about the source of it all. I just stood up to you. I just challenged you. I was your scourge. I was also your pride.

You were never able to grind me under your workboots- like your own children- all in the name of being a "realistic" parent. I never told them that they would fail. You never told me that I would fail. You didn't have the nerve. My daddy could beat up you.

So now that you're dead, burned to ashes and scattered to the winds, I worry this problem to death. I think about your motivations. I think about your pain. I think about the pain you inflicted with what appeared a great deal of forethought on others. The others you were charged to protect and to nurture. Was your inner life so barren, so horribly infertile that you had no other way of functioning? Or were you just the world's biggest ass?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, talk about a realistic eulogy. Not that this will show up in the local paper, but I think most eulogies need more truth. Sorry this guy caused you so much pain while he was alive.

slyboots2 said...

Yeah- well, it's all part of the baggage. I see writing as an exorcism of sorts- I can let go of pieces and bits of these kinds of things. I just don't have to carry it all around.
Thanks, bro!

bedmonster said...

Hooray for public catharsis!

slyboots2 said...

Catharsis or just a relief valve of sorts. I'm pretty convinced that I'll never fully eliminate the angst that I acquired along the way- in fact will add to the dosage as time rolls steadily on. But I let it go in small doses, and feel better for a while.

Anonymous said...

there's so much life to be lived
crack that shit out
figure it out
learn a little something or two from it
and keep on keepin on