Friday, May 05, 2006

Mmmm. Mexican food.

It's Cinqo de Mayo (apologize up front for the spelling- never took Spanish. Russian, yes. German, certainly. Even French and Italian. And Latin. But never Spanish)

Loverly springlike weather. And in celebration of all things Spanish-speaking, I finished reading a wonderous book today. I have always had a soft spot for certain authors- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Carlos Fuentes, etc. Love the boys from south of the border. Really do. The images of butterflies floating around her head...Love Isabelle Allende too. Laura Esquivel also. So the distaff side isn't neglected.

The book I just finished which I can highly, highly recommend was The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Damn. One hell of a story. Seriously. All about books, mystery, growing up, the Spanish Civil War, writing, and lots of other things. One of the best that I've read this year. And that's saying quite a lot. It's out in paperback, and I've seen the hardcover in remaindered bins. So there is no excuse to not read this most wonderful book.

And now the coffee I ingested moments ago is humming through my veins. It's a warm buzzy feeling. I feel the need to not sit at the computer, and to go do something moderately active. I'll even wear sandals. Because it's nice out. And it's Cinqo de Mayo.

(I did get the worst sunburn of my life (and that's saying one hell of a lot, kids) in Mexico. Thought I was gonna die. Probably gonna kill me someday when the melanoma takes over. Stupid Mexican sun. Stupid pasty white genes.)


No comments: