Thursday, August 31, 2006

Tides

Today the black water is receding. From my brain, at least. And since I hate water in principle, this is a comforting thought.
To mix the metaphore a little more, I have a toehold on the cliff wall. So I shall not fall. It still requires concentration and strength to stick up there, but there is hope already. And I like hope. According to the movies, it floats. Which helps with the water part. Damn I hate water.

Like the time I almost died in the water. I was allegdly water skiing. But I didn't know how. And had on the proper safety gear. But after I inevitably fell, and was waiting to get back on the boat, it started to float over me. I was slipping under the boat. And only one person on the boat heard me calling. I'm not sure what the others were thinking. He jumped in and pulled me out. I was trapped by the ski stuck on my foot. Scary, scary water. This was in the Missouri River- at a spot where Lewis & Clark camped. My silly brush with history. Stupid water. Stupid river. Stupid people.

So now, not exactly on top of the world, but with an ok vantage point, I can breathe. I can survey a bit of the scenery and see how hospitable it will be. And I can prepare to climb some more. But I still don't have a bloody clue where I'm climbing to. Them's the breaks. At least I'm out of the water.

1 comment:

(S)wine said...

cheers to you!