Monday, August 14, 2006

And sometimes things just ...happen

This morning, after I finished blogging- which I am pretty religious about, I was dawdling about looking at stuff. No, I don't remember what stuff. Just stuff, ok?

Anyway, I was contemplating taking a shower. Because I was still in jammies, coffee was gone, and it was later than usual. But I dawdled.

I look up from the computer when I notice something dark blue move by the window. There is a man in the front yard, peering into our garage. He is wearing a dark blue shirt. I call out to Kenga, "there's someone in the yard." I see the man stop, look at the door, look at the walkway, act like it's fight vs. flight, and hesitantly come up to the door. He knocks softly. I say, "Kenga, get the door!" I'm in my jammies, you see. And not in any way feeling like a paragon of hospitality.

Kenga goes to the door, opens it and goes out. He is talking to the man. I am going towards the bedroom, and the firearm, in case I hear shouts. Because I am a cowgirl at heart. And there's a history in my family of pulling guns on intruders. It's really, really dumb, I know. But then, I am one HELL of a shot.

Kenga returns and says, "he says he needs a tow truck. Look up a number for that, please." I comply, and Kenga goes out.

He comes back a few moments later and says, "there is no car. The man is gone."

I say, "call the fucking cops. We've been cased, baby."

He calls the cops and I decide to go ahead with the cleansing of my filthy body. Because eventually I must leave and go to work.

He comes back and reports that the cops agree that he was casing the joint, and they were already en-route.

I called the neighbors downstairs (who, luckily were home today) and report. So they were on the hear/lookout for any suspiciously destructive, non-kitty related noises.

I don't think he'll be back, though. We could identify him pretty easily. Because we were paying attention. And because, most of all, I was at the computer dawdling. NOW I don't have to ever make an excuse for being a computer slacker. I have vigilance on my side!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

GEEZ! I told Mom about this and she was like "They don't live in an icky part of Seattle, do they?" I said, no, there are just creepy people out there. And apparently, they like the looks of their stuff! Of course, who wouldn't. Maybe he's a cat thief. Anyway, stay safe. And, I promise I won't send any more people over to your house to case it out:)

(S)wine said...

we got them fuckers too.
only they're trying to push Jehovah on us.
bastards.

slyboots2 said...

No- neighborhood is really good. It's just something that happens everywhere and anywhere. It's the drug, baby!

And we get the Jehovah types too. They come marching up the hill all shiny and bright- I see the sun glinting off of them, and refuse to answer the door.

Anonymous said...

Mom says:

"I know, it's a Cat Burgler (laughs at own clever joke)"

I had to share that one...

slyboots2 said...

Oy. I just don't know how to follow that one up.