Saturday, August 12, 2006

Kenga and I were having a conversation last night about rock stars. Because we do this. We talk. That's why we still like eachother.

Anyway, we were comparing the different acts we've seen in the past with the dvd of the White Stripes that I got yesterday. We saw Jack White with the Raconteurs, but it was a totally different situation.

We have determined the following. There are acts that have morphed into rock star status. U2 belongs here. It's more than just the music with them. They are after something else entirely. Kenga says it's more like a movement than a music act. It makes sense, really. Not that they sold out- but that they saw the lay of the land and adapted accordingly. They did not allow monster popularity to turn them into parodies, unless they were in control of the parody (Zooropa, etc.). Not to say that their music isn't enjoyable, catchy and fun to scream at the top of one's lungs while stalled in traffic around Mercer Island. But it lacks something intimate as a live act. There's a necessary distance that exists- pretty sure that anyone in their position needs to keep some things inaccessible. That's called sanity, and those who ignore that rule do so at their peril.

Then there are the artists. Sigur Ros falls into this category. As does Radiohead. They make the noise that they need to make. No matter what. It can sound very "wall of sound" and overproduced, but it is coming from these performers' souls. No questions asked. It's obvious when you're in the same concert arena with them. It's palpable. They aren't trying to score points off of the audience. They aren't trying to reassure themselves that they are stars. Nothing of the sort. In fact, Jonsi from Sigur Ros spoke one word the entire concert- the second time we saw them, not the first- "thanks." He wasn't interested in an exchange of energy on that level. Just in expressing the music. I see these kinds of bands as having some kind of religious epiphany onstage. Like the oracles of Delphi. The music takes them over, and they become something other. But there is always that distance between them and the audience. There's a kind of connection that doesn't get made. We love them, love their sound, but aren't really important in the equation.

Then there are the musicians. We group the White Stripes into this category. They're the ones I probably think are the best to watch. Because more than anything, I want to play music with them. I don't play an instrument, but still, it's a dream. Kenga said that he saw Jack White just mowing through the music with intent, power, and joy. We have seen the same kind of intensity, but with that same comfort and rapture in live blues acts. Robert Balfour and Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown come to mind immediately. These are guys who are over the celebrity thing. In Balfour's case, he was in his 50's before he was able to become a full-time musician. Prior to that he was a regular joe with a hobby. Now, to see him in concert is a wondorous thing. He was so happy to have an audience and to share what he loved doing that it was palpable. And he would NOT get off the stage. The owner of the venue had to finally cut the concert short after 4 hours. The man NEEDED to play. It was in his blood. Not the same as the artist above. It was more visceral than that. The connection that he needed was something pure, and from his essence. That's what we saw when we watched the White Stripes. I saw that when I saw Jimmy Page many years ago. The need to make music, because it is there. Nothing really complex about it. Just because it's transporing in a joyous way. Offstage might get messy for these folks, but while they're in the moment, it's perfect. And the connection with the audience is different. They aren't looking for acolytes. In fact, they'd probably be put off by that kind of person. They are looking for people who appreciate the music in the same joyous way. We have a friend who fits this category perfectly. He is more than willing to have his life on the side, and play his music when he can. Because it is perfect when he gets to play. I can't imagine him ever being a rock star. Nor do I see him trying to produce something approaching precious. He is immersed in music at the core level. He just wants to communicate the music.

It's particularly interesting to watch the careers of some of the long-term musicians and see them grapple with choices surrounding celebrity, integrity, and clarity. Bob Dylan springs to mind as an example of a man who has had a pretty public journey. I really don't like his sound. Some of his songs are pure genius. But I can't listen to him. It just grates on my nerves. Likewise Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen. This enrages some people. But it is what it is. Their voices just don't sooth the angry beast within in my case, and just make me want to jab an icepick in my ears. However, I respect them as artists- and understand the loyalty of their fans. Unlike the Rolling Stones, who I believe are pretty much in it for the money (and have admitted as much on occasion, I believe), these guys are still hashing around their lives and problems and producing music that has a human element. That can be identified with. Dylan in particular (excepting the creepy Victoria's Secret ads ...shudder...) appears to be pretty comfortable with public expression of his journey.

And that's a Friday night in our house. Lengthy discussions about ...music...with beer.

3 comments:

(S)wine said...

interesting. i almost bailed out of this post no less than four times; overall I'm not very interested in what drives "rock stars" per se, but I enjoyed getting your take on it (and Kenga's). things like this don't really occupy my mind for too long as this pantheon is so out of reach for me, and so unfathomable, that i just don't expend energy on what really drives these people. i do enjoy listening to Miles and Coltrane and Dizzy and Dolphy and Pops, and Bird much more than "rock music." there is something otherworldly about them, something that rock musicians are probably jealous of (Radiohead included; i don't subscribe to the whole Thom Yorke blah-blah genius thing, but that's just me). for me, the music of those hard-bop boys is something that challenges my way of thinking, and a great companion to writing. but i try not to analyze what it really is, or what it really does. it's also beautiful in that there's no human voice to distort or distract from the piece. i've said over and over, the human voice is a horrible addition to music. but that's just me.

slyboots2 said...

Funny. The lack of words is what leaves most jazz and classical cold for me. I need the sound of someone's voice to really, really connect. Probably laziness on my part, I'll be the first to admit. As a child of the 70's and all of the AM pop that I could stomach, I suppose it makes sense. K. loves the jazz too- especially Kenny Burrell. I can take it in small doses. Then I have to leave the room, because I have the strongest impulse to turn it off. It almost makes me angry. So I guess that's a strong reaction. But not necessarily an illuminated one. I love to sing along. I love to feel like I'm part of the music. I love to fantisize that I'm a rock star too. That somehow, Bono has recognized my utter fabulousness, and invited me onstage for a duet of "Beautiful Day." And there you have it. The saddest thing you'll read all day!

(S)wine said...

yea, i don't need to feel like i belong. with anyone. ever. so there you have it. THAT'S the saddest thing you'll read all day. (unless you 're a news hound and follow the war in Lebanon)