Saturday, August 12, 2006

Ah, the torch. You haven't passed it along yet. You still grip it in your hot little hands-
Though you always did have large hands, so that's inaccurate.
The torch. It's not for me, doncha know. It's for someone I don't know. I never did.
She's the person you think existed years ago. I'm pretty sure that she wasn't even there then.
I'm pretty sure that you saw the veneer, and didn't see underneath.
I'm pretty sure that if you knew, you would've run screaming into the night.
I'm pretty sure that what you're experiencing now is the onset of age.
And a feeble attempt to recall the past.
The past that never really existed. Not the way you remember.
You're a father and husband now. So something must be wrong with the picture on your side.
Fuzzy focus, wrong F-stop.
Because if all was right in the world, I would've never heard from you again.

Is it the right time to tell you that I had forgotten how to spell your name?

5 comments:

(S)wine said...

what is all this "ongoing saga in code" stuff? i'm always confused by these kinds of pieces.

slyboots2 said...

Me being fucking passive/agressive and not having the balls to actually say these things to the people who inspire them. Apologies. I'll try to be a little less obtuse.

Livinia Redlips said...

Some always will return, even long after you've forgotten what they smelled like, what their hair felt like in your hands - you are someone's memories, we all are, if we're lucky.

(S)wine said...

...or unlucky. thanks sly for clearing it up; you put these up from time to time and it makes me feel quite ree-tah-ded 'cause i cannot ever figure them out. i mean, i get the general gist (jist?), but overall i'm left in da dark.

slyboots2 said...

MMM. Well, I basically write these because I feel retahded. And need to see the black and white of print to get out of my own head.

Memories- it is good to be remembered- it is bad to be skeeved out by the rememberer. More to follow...