Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Scariest thing ever

The scariest thing I've ever read in my life was The Mist, by Stephen King. Damn. Scary as anything in the world. I almost couldn't finish it. Lots of his stuff is inventive, but clunky. He is brilliant at coming up with ideas, but his style can be -well, we'll be nice and say it could use some work. Especially his awkward sex scenes. They're cringeworthy.

I should re-read the story- and see if it still scares the bejeesus out of me. Betcha it does. I had nightmares about it.

Why am I thinking about this? I dunno. Just thinking about scary stuff. That's all. I cannot sit through scary movies (Silence of the Lambs took me 6 hours to get through- and it had to be during the day). So books are about the only exposure I get. And that's very selective. Anyway, just felt like chatting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I don't like being scared, either. I did fine with Silence of the Lambs (my parents let me watch it when I was in 7th grade), but I don't like scary stuff. Silence of the Lambs wasn't so bad, since the scariness was mostly psychological and gross, not the startle-scare kind. I don't do well with the things-popping-out-from-behind-things kind, or supernatural stuff in houses. Eeep.

I hope you have fun by your lonesome this weekend, and good luck on Tuesday!

slyboots2 said...

Yeah- the Mist is the one with the scary monsters coming from the North (I'm guessing Canada- funny comedians and scary monsters and curling...).
It still makes me shudder. And it's not like I actively dislike fog- just that story got me.