Saturday, June 04, 2005

James Bond

On the Starz network they're playing a James Bond film fest. We're up to The Spy Who Loved Me, and deep into the Roger Moore ouvre. I gotta say- I'm diggin the 70s vibe.

The last one The Man W/ the Golden Gun was my favorite as a child. We saw it at the drive in theater. We never missed the opportunity to see James Bond at the drive in. I would sit in the back seat with my sister- in our pyjamas, on my sleeping bag, and watch. Actually, she usually fell asleep. I remember watching people go by with flashlights. And I remember the best part was going to the bathrooms. It was cool out and dark, and the kiosk smelled like popcorn. The walls were a lurid kind of red. And I remember a poster for a horror flick about ants one time. It was dangerous feeling. I often got to go by myself when I was a little older. It was kind of scary coming back and trying to remember where the car was.

So, one of the things that occurred to me whilst watching this movie is how terribly throw-away the women are as characters. There is one main Bond girl, and the rest are like the red shirted men in Star Trek- total fodder. You know that they're trying to bust James Bond's balls. That they are probably on the other side. If not, they're just a quickie. And if they get killed, well, pity. But no big deal. Does that make James a total sociopath? That he can kill or witness killing without any visible signs of emotion? That he basically doesn't give a shit? What a hero. I'll take one without ice water in his veins, please!

No comments: