Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Comeuppance

And for once not for me.

So it seems that a certain, rather unpopular person at the old job got the axe yesterday. Seems that she returned from vacation and found herself on permanent vacation (seems to be a bit of a pattern). She tried to take on the wrong person. She had been gunning for the Marketing director for some time- and I told her it was a mistake. But she couldn't do that. The other moral to this story is that she had been shucking job duties for some time (while proclaiming herself "too busy" to do them). That's a sure-fire way to become professionally obsolete. Right quicklike too. And then there was her habit of gunning for people on the staff who she saw as easy targets. I had a real problem with that, and spent a LOT of time shielding people from her. And covering my back. I expected the stilletto any time. And since she had the boss's ear back then, it wasn't sheer paranoia. It was the kind of esp that you develop by being in political hothouse job environments for long enough.

I hear via the grapevine that her fatal mistake was that she was banging the video intern. That's what I'm told. And that's really, really stupid. She probably was deluded enough at that point to think that she was a)indespensable, and b)untouchable.

And sadly, I do kinda feel sorry for her. I'm still pissed at her role in canning a very good friend of mine, but I think that the saddest thing of all is that she will never learn from her mistakes. I just don't think that she has the capacity to go through the self-reflection necessary to figure out how she helped produce the situation. She is just too self-rightous and defensive.

No comments: