Tuesday, June 21, 2005

F1 shitstorm

Yeah- I realize that the majority of my friends don't give a rat's ass about F1- but humor me. It matters to me. I love the sport. Beyond reason. I went on a 3000 mile odyssey to see a race, all the while being the only source of estrogen in the group. It was fun, but you probably get the point that I'm committed to the whole thing.

So Sunday's race fiasco is starting to settle in. The 7 teams who pulled out of the race, and their tire (or tyre) manufacturer (Michelin) are being held accountable for making the whole thing stink. And it could have some really serious fallout for the sport in general. With the protest action of the teams, they showed the FIA (governing body of the sport) that they were willing to tweak noses. And not only was it a fuck you for the FIA and the fans, but to the sponsors, as well. The teams could wind up re-embursing the sponsors for ticket prices, etc. And they could wind up paying the fans for the $100+ per ticket. Stupid move, if'n you ask me. I thought that there had to be a way for them to race, and they were looking for an excuse to tweak Max Mosley(President of the FIA) and show some muscle. I guess that there's talk of a breakaway racing federation starring those teams. Impressive solidarity shown, but I think that the results will be regrettable. Too much ego, not enough attention paid to the fans and our love for their sport.

No comments: