Friday, June 24, 2005

In the tradition of Vanity Fair

The magazine- not the book (I'm no Becky Sharp, thank you), I've decided that I'm bored enough to take the Proust Questionnaire (and it's Proust month!).

What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Knowing that I'm doing what I'm meant to be doing with my life. Sadly it changes, and the challenge is finding that something again.

What is your greatest fear?
That nobody will like me anymore.

What historical figure do you most identify with?
Elizabeth Barrett Browning- at least today.

Which living person do you most admire?
Kent.

What is your greatest extravagance?
Taking so much time reading books and watching old movies.

What is your favorite journey?
Wherever good books transport me.

What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
Patience- I think it causes people to settle too often for a substandard reality.

What do you dislike most about your appearance?
The scar on my back.

Which living person do you most despise?
Right now it would probably be an ex-employer who just can't seem to get his/her head out of his/her ass.

What or who is the greatest love of your life?
Duh- Kent.

When and where were you happiest?
When I was 5 years old.

If you could change on ething about your family, what would it be?
My Grandmother would still be alive.

What is your most treasured possession?
My sanity. It's been a battle, at times, but I still have it.

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Being stuck. In a job, in a bad relationship, in a path that doesn't make you happy in any way.

What is your favorite occupation?
Right now it's a toss up between gardening and writing.

What do you most value in your friends?
Their ability to understand my sense of humor, and play along.

Who are your favorite writers?
Proust, Mary Doria Russell, Salman Rushdie, J.K.Rowling, plenty of others- it could be a long list.

Who is your favorite hero of fiction?
Harry Potter.

Who are your heroes in real life?
Social workers and teachers who give a damn and do their jobs well despite the odds against their success.

What are your favorite names?
I dunno.

What is your motto?
Jacta alea est. (the die is cast- Julius Ceasar upon crossing the Rubicon)


No comments: