Friday, November 24, 2006

Weighing in on the new James

Saw the new Bond film last night. I have to say it was a departure- actual character development- a break from the non-stop action- breathing space.

So that was good. I enjoyed it. Then I came home and started picking apart the plot. Because there were niggling details that bothered me. We talked about them until midnight. Because that's the way we roll around here. Pedanticism at its finest! But seriously- there were an awful lot of plot problems. You'd think that as part of the multi-million dollar budget, someone would fix those. Not that they worry horribly in this genre about people like me analyzing character intent, etc. But it would be wonderful to go to one of these, enjoy the spectacle and walk away in amazed satisfaction that nothing stupid happened to the story.

I read the original book in Jr. High (Dad had the whole collection- and I must say they were an ...ahem...educational set of books), and think it might merit a re-read. I've always had a smallish torch for Ian Flemming- just for Chitty chitty Bang bang- the book, not the cloyingly insufferable movie. But like I said, I might have to re-read that one.

I gotta say that Daniel Craig is the ...prettiest...Bond- below the neck. Ahem.

4 comments:

(S)wine said...

dude, dissecting bond is ludicrous.
i hear it's a good one, this one.
and i'm a huge daniel craig fan.
again...sort of on the same wavelength.
i went to see Sylvia last night...Ted Hughes played by craig, opposite gwyneth paltrow's Sylvia. craig rocks. and yea...the man is built. but back to the subject; you stard taking apart bond movies, you'll find yourself pissed off in vain. then a whole lotta energy is spent on pretty much nothing.

but then again...that IS how you roll around there.

didja have that cappucino beer in my honor yet?

Anonymous said...

The fact that you even attempt to dismantle a Bond plot is a sure sign that it's more worth seeing than the last one.

The best film of the genre in my opinion is "Ronin". You've probably seen it, if not, be forwarned that other spy/espionage/action films will all suck in comparision henceforth.

slyboots2 said...

The cappucino beer was indeed in your honor. Gave me happy buzziness. Around noonish even. Yay for cappucino beer!

I totally agree that it's a waste of time to think about plot with these movies. However, it is a good thing that rather than view this latest one as a lead-in for the video game, I actually thought about the damned plot. And yeah, I pretty much roll in the pissing in the wind looking for a story kind of category.

And Ronin kicks ass. Frankenheimer was the sublimest of sublime directors of auto chase sequences. Bar none. Grand Prix is the best auto movie ever. Ever. Ronin was on last night. We watched, and appreciated. In fact the day it was released, our boss let us take the afternoon and go to the matinee en masse. Very cool.

(S)wine said...

ronin rocks the house.
was on regular tv last night, even.