Saturday, November 04, 2006

Jaysus Mary and Joseph

Just got back from massage and then coffee. And witnessed the following:

At the market, whilst waiting to order, a mom with her really cute little girl spilled a cup of something. They cleaned it up. It was done well. No crying, no anger. Just fine.

So then I get my coffee and go to add the necessary acoutrements which make it ingestable. Mom has the entire counter taken up- her drinks, purse, self are sprawled out like it's her bloody kitchen and she has taken over. And she's chatting with another mom, while taking her sloooowww time getting it together. I am patiently standing there waiting to have access to the creamer and sugar. Because I am like that. Demanding.

Finally, she gets it together. And says to the other mom, "you should call me." Mom 2 says, "I have. I left a voice mail on your cell phone and everything." Mom 1 replies, "really? I didn't get it."

"Oh- I have a new nanny, and she's great."

Badump-ump. I had to laugh and pity the poor nanny. Such disarray. Such nonchalance about others. Such self absorption. All witnessable in about 2 minutes in a grocery store.

Or else, I hadn't had enough caffeine, and was just cranky.

5 comments:

(S)wine said...

you cannot avoid these kinds of people. they're everywhere around here.
the only thing you can do is switch to black coffee...no extras.

slyboots2 said...

No lie. Especially hereabouts. She was just the kind of person I secretly hate/want to be. I would love to be so secure in life as to know that I owned the joint. That I would never want. That I would never need. That I had all that I was entitled to. Because I am me. But I hate that too- because I see it for the trap/mindfuck that it really is. Wait, just wait, until those kids have grown up- and the husband has moved on to a newer, fresher model. And the kids hate her because she was a cheerleader rather than a mother. Then the nice car and big diamond rings ain't gonna save her.

(S)wine said...

unfortunately the kids will take after the mother because when daddy moves along, the bitterness and hate will be instilled into the little ones via mommy. and so the shit gets perpetuated. i see both the mothers and the teenage daughters around here and they're one and the same. nothing like hanging around a town inhabited by sixteen year old beauty queens driving Mercedes E-Class. fuckers, all of them. but fuckers via their mothers/parents.

Bwana said...

AS to the post, having been one of those parents that had an au pair and tried to treat them as the term is defined (a member of the family), I agonize for the kids of these Evita-like byotches, but I also ponder the image these folks create in the minds of those who come to this country (whether it's throught USIA or by illegal import) and what that nanny brings home with them after they are finished with their indentured servitude.

But at least Mommy has those new fun bags for extra protection when she cracks up the Mercedes 600

slyboots2 said...

Those bags are too bloody low to save what little brain is left in the woman's head. Only the hair helmet will help there.

It's depressing. I was thinking about the studied nonchalance of it all. And thinking of the toils of my sister- the nanny extraordinaire- who has to endure. Some things just aren't worth the money.