Thursday, November 23, 2006

It's the holiday I used to dread

Mainly because it came fully loaded with family strife. Not my parents. The auxiliary family. But those days are gone. And those people are pretty much gone. Or at least in a very benign form now.

So. Friends are due to arrive any moment to use our fabulous kitchen to cook us dinner. Because we can only have this fabulous kitchen for a few more months. Then it's back to squalor for the likes of us. Where cooking gruel will tax the resources at hand.

So. What am I going to prattle on about being all thankful for n shit? Those same friends. And the others who I enjoy.

What else? kitties. Because if I don't say that they will hurt me good.

And bonsai trees. And orchids- especially cattleyas.

And that today I don't have to see the Prairie Home Companion movie. Because I hate the radio show so very, very badly. Makes my tummy ache, I hate it so much. And because, like I said before, I find Altman films unwatchable. The combo platter would probably have me in an ICU unit for a week or so. My insurance probably wouldn't cover it. So we would be bankrupt and living in a small enclave of our cars and motorcycles- in our friend's yard. In the rain. So we would all have headcolds.

I am very glad that OJ has been denied a forum to self-aggrandize. The fucking rat bastard.

I am glad that the Griz beat the Cats. PPPPOOOOORRRRR Bobcats!!!

I am glad that I have fingers. Because they are pretty cool when you think about it.

I am glad that I have t-shirt sheets on the bed. Because they are yummy delicious- even when I can't sleep properly.

I am glad for Creme Brulee. Just because it exists. I don't have any right now, and have no hope of acquiring any in the near future. But if I had a world of my own, like the Mormon men, I would use Creme Brulee as currency. It would be messy, but delicious. Because it would have to be eaten, or it would spoil.

I am very glad that The Double Life of Veronique has been released on DVD finally. By Criterion. I was standing in line for my copy. Actually- there wasn't a line. Of course. That was for the PS3. I was just the geek who had to stop by B & N on the way home from work so that I could buy the ONLY copy they had. Or I would die. Because Keislowski is worth a good dozen Altmans any day of the week. Any day. And his death was so blasted premature as to be a good-sized tragedy.

And finally- because my hands are getting tired of typing, and I am running out of things to say- I am glad that the people I love are doing well. Even the grandmother- who is stable, safe, and receiving the best care that she can get. She might not be sure of the decade, or the name of the color she's wearing, but she will be warm, dry, and eat well. And everyone else is good. What more could I ask for?

the lotto. that's what. I could ask for the lotto. To win it. Today.

4 comments:

(S)wine said...

i have the TORCH for the creme brulee.
i am grateful for that.
and i am grateful for people like you; friendships forged out of tumultuous situations via writing and reading.
for THAT i am the most grateful.

slyboots2 said...

You know, thank you. Because well, I know that if we ever do meet in person, you can handle the Creme Brulee duties.

It's just really been good to know that besides my local and MT friends, there is at least one other person out there who gives a rat's ass and who has the patience to read about it.

Thank you!!!

(S)wine said...

and who would that be?

slyboots2 said...

That would be you, silly boy!