Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Yesterday- things that I did

We went to the Star Wars movie yesterday. And it was kinda good. I have the following observations:

-Ewan MacGregor is hot. And he really ought to have that mole on his forehead looked at- it's bloody huge! And distracting...
-The script was marginally better. I know that Lucas hired someone to write it. They should've gone through a couple more drafts. I did like the Obi Wan line,"I have a bad feeling about this..." It made me all Han Solo happy- see the previous post...
-I agree with Spouse and the Evil Ryan- there was just a touch overkill with the CG. Why have 50 ships when you can create 500? Well, sometimes subtlety is a good thing. And the eye can't appreciate too much movement.
-There were entirely too many short, fragmented scenes. Would it have killed Lucas to tell the stories without all of the cuts? REALLY!
-Padme was a dumbass. Her character was unsatisfyingly damsel in distressish. All she seemed to do was wait around in the apartment.
-Samuel L. was definately phoning it in in his first scenes. Dammit man, we expect more from you!
-Angry muppets are cool.
-Anikin was sure in need of some therapy- he was a touch obsessive with his death problem. Wouldn't the Jedi with their mind tricks have figured this out? And wouldn't he have received anger management training whilst a child (sorry- youngling)? I'm just saying...
-and finally, why didn't the Jedi sense the ambush vibe? I thought that was part of their bag o tricks. Or is Yoda the only Jedi with that kind of sensory adaptation?

Overall, better than the last 2, far worse than the first 3. But I gotta hand it to Lucas- when I sit in the theater and the credits start, with the John Williams score, I get a little misty. Helps that the original Star Wars was a pivotal movie in my youth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? Didn't you like Darth Vader-cum-Frankenstein there at the end? I half expected him to say "Brains!" or something. Wow.

Squirrel Yoda is the best thing ever. He just rocks, from riding Wookies to squrming around in hidey-holes. Damn, he is good. Too bad he has to go live like a frog now.

Yes, Ewan is hot. And his character was sweet. And I want the big lizard-thing he rode.

I didn't mind watching Anakin burn. Is that bad?

And I totally agree with you about her wandering around, damsel-in-distress.

But the wrap-up was good- I'm happy for those kids they didn't have to grow up with their REAL parents, and now I really want to watch the original three again. Sweet, sweet Han Solo, who's the only person we DIDN'T see forshadowed in the movie.

Good luck with the job interview! I hope it works out for you. ^_^ I'm happy you posted again-I was missing you!

slyboots2 said...

Imagine a movie- all about the young developing Han Solo...how he met Chewy, how he became the roguish cad we met in the original movie...yeah- I'm there. Right now. Gotta sign off- I'm having a happy moment.