Saturday, May 31, 2008

People appear to really like to be defined by type. For example, what Sex in the City character are you? (for the record, none of the above- I would probably gleefully push any one of them down a steep flight of stairs)

I am not immune, but tend towards the more arcane examples of typecasting.

For example, what kind of Jim Carey movie do you enjoy? Personally, I am a Cable Guy kind of chick. Something about that man examining his dark side is really funny, and creepy, and all that. Just like I loved Death to Smoochie and One Hour Photo, but totally piss on Patch Adams and the other Robin Williams movies of that ilk. And we'll make it asparagus piss at that. Because that kind of treacly nonsense deserves no less.

We quote Cable Guy at least once a day. At least. "Dude, I got a lot of tables." Exactly.

So do you have a black heart like me? And my man? Because if so, climb aboard the bitter train. Enjoy the comedians when they go horribly wrong. And hope, yes pray, for the day that Eddie Murphy gives up on Disney and goes all serial killer in a movie. It would be brilliance personified. Unleash that inner demon, Eddie! Let it go. You know you want it. You know that the dark side would feel soooooo very good. Like that red leather getup you wore on the cover of your album, back in the day. Spanky.

I would pay lots of money, also, to see Steve Martin be all villainous again. The Spanish Prisoner was so worthwhile because of him. Not that I always enjoy Mamet- sometimes it is just too difficult. Oleanna was unbearable.

So, rock on evil ones. And I am going to play in the sun. And dream of the funny boys embracing their dark sides truly and fully.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yesss, one hour photo! yesss.
death to smoochy, yesss.
jim carey? i'll take "eternal sunshine" and "cable guy" too.

slyboots2 said...

See, you belong in our club. And we insist on having all of the meetings at good pubs- defined as places that not only serve decent food, but astonishingly good beer, as well.

And I forgot about "Eternal Sunshine." It does belong on the list.