Friday, May 02, 2008

Kman was singing to himself this morning- not an uncommon occurrence, and a nice one at that. He reminded me of my favorite Neil Diamond song. "Cracklin Rosie." It's not the most dramatic of the Neil oeuvre, nor is it the most singable. But it is my Christmas song.

When I was probably 3 (could have been 4), we were at my grandparent's house. We were celebrating Christmas, and had a fire going in the fireplace. The presents had been opened, and everyone was happy. My father picked me up, and was dancing with me. That was the song that was playing. I hear it now, and remember the warmth, and the love and the security. It is by far one of the happiest moments of my life, and one that I have trotted out on occasion when needed to get through something worse. Funny, I don't invoke the song often. Don't even own it, actually. It's like if I did, it would lose some of its potent firepower. Kind of like if I think about that time too much it might go away. Funny how that works. Because in actuality, it will go away some day. For sure.

("for sure" is part of an elaborate F1 based drinking game in our house now- though we watch the races too early to actually make it a drinking game- currently it's in production, and theory mode- to be unleashed at a later date.)

3 comments:

zombieswan said...

I love Neil Diamond. "Sweet Caroline" makes me smile every time I hear it. Partly because it reminds me of a drinking thing at karaoke bars and good times yelling "ba ba ba bam" in that part... good times with friends, etc. But also cause it's a sweet song. I remember checking "The Jazz Singer" record out of the library and playing it over and over again. (That and AC/DC... I know. I'm weird.)

They did his songs on American Idol this week, too. So you know he's still hip. :)

Anonymous said...

he's not hip. he's a jive turkey.
those kids were set up to fail.
and his performance at the end...the guitar, the swaying hips...the horror, the horror.

slyboots2 said...

He is a nice old Jewish man who is no doubt mystified by his enduring popularity. Or he could be just an arrogant ass. Kind of hard to tell. But being on those American Idol shows- leaning towards the ass estimation myself...I hate those shows. I hate, hate, hate those shows. Worse than 8th grade talent shows. Far, far worse. Dante would be familiar. He probably would put those shows around level 8 or 9, and make the bad popes participate.