Monday, May 26, 2008

Pardon my ignorance...

Is Memorial Day just for veterans and war dead? Just wondering, because I remember it being the annual day when we visited the family at the cemetery. We would take annuals out and plant these little planters, and I would inevitably get bored and run around reading headstones. It was generally nice out, and didn't take an entire afternoon or anything. Usually we went for a car drive afterwards. I wish that those car rides made more of an impact- all I really remember is sun in the car, lots of trees and dirt roads. I couldn't take you to those places today. I couldn't tell you if there was anything unique. Just dirt roads and trees. Sometimes water. Not vast stretches of water, just creeks mostly.

It just never seemed like a big deal overall. I am seeing all kinds of articles in the papers about veterans. And it made me wonder. I suppose I really should know the answer to my question- but was never that into American history- it was the European stuff that I fixated on. And I thought that we had the whole war/dead/fallen heroes thing covered on Veteran's day. But I have no problem with giving them more than one day, god knows they deserve it.

I just wonder if anyone in the family still goes to the cemetery and plants annuals in those little planters anymore. I live a bit too far away to jump in the car and check.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

On Dad's side, they sure do (of course I don't know about your Ma's). They also repaint the Madonna on Grandpa and Grandma's grave every couple years, and replant flowers all around the headstones. Dad takes flowers out to them on Mothers and Fathers days, too. Bob also puts in silk flowers in the winter since the real ones are dead. They put them on our deceased uncle's grave, too. They're all covered:)

Anonymous said...

Memorial Day, i thought, was pool-opening-for-the-summer day.

the dead are dead. let 'em be. bring on the chlorine and Styrofoam noodles (and smuggled coolers filled with margaritas to sip on whilst watching your SCREAMING kin play Marco-Polo ENDLESSLY)

slyboots2 said...

The dead are dead. And now our driveway is clean enough to eat off of, if you were so inclined, and feeling risky.