Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Last night I proved once and for all (as if that was necessary) that Kman is a saint. Lovely, lovely man.

I dragged him to Third Place Books across the water and north (in rush hour traffic, no less) to a book signing by Jen Lancaster. I did placate him a bit with a Dick's burger and fries, but it was not what he originally wanted to do after work.

But Jen is one of my heroes. I don't often succumb to chick lit, but make an exception in her case. Because she is mean and funny. And in real life, appears to be just the same. Not that it would be easy to have her in a daily dose, but her blog and her books make me happy. Mainly because I read the first one Bitter is the New Black when I was unemployed and very, very low. It fit nicely into the firmament of what was going on. That book actually went on permanent loan when I gave it to a contractor at work who never came back one day. But that is good, because I suspect she needed the book too.

The reading was fun, Kman even laughed a few times, and I was near the front of the line, so we were able to leave early. I overheard a woman talking about me- she was happy that I was speedy with my hellos, and didn't take a ton of time getting my book signed. Had a quick chat with Jen, and then left. That was all. My entire being didn't rest upon meeting her, like I suspect some did. There were some pretty happy ladies present, and a smattering of very nice men.

And now I owe Kman an evening at the brew pub of his choice. Because, like I said before, he is a saint, and I really want to keep him happy. Oh, just for the record- he was going to clean the garage last night. I kept him from cleaning his mancave. Sigh....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is her other book "Bright Lights Big Ass"??? I've never read it, but the title always makes me laff.

slyboots2 said...

Yes, it is, and I loved that one too. I can handle about 2-3 chapters per day depending on my mood, and then I put her down. Because that much spite is funny in smaller doses.

She has provided us with some really good inside jokes at home, though. There's a bit about reach arounds that we still get all giggly about. And some of her blog material is just amazing. Makes my life seem so mundane, and she doesn't generally leave the house even.