Thursday, May 08, 2008

I had lunch yesterday with an old friend from work. I don't currently work in the same group with him, but haven't lost touch, because he is wonderful.

We were dishing about mutual acquaintances. One has cancer. One is a really vile human being. It is all interesting. Overall it makes me ponder a bit.

Where I work, competitive people congregate and freely screw eachother over on a daily basis. It is one big game for them. And the consequences are pretty dire for some. It takes me aback when I hear about new examples. Mainly because I can't really fathom being dim enough to behave like that. Not only is it careless to be an ass and forget that people have long memories, and love to wreak revenge when given an opportunity, but it's also just such bad manners. And I know that the manners argument makes me sound kind of priggish. But it really is true. This is it. This is our only opportunity to play this game, and if you're a dick about it, you lose. That's it. You fucking lose. Because not only did you not make a positive difference in the world, you added to the bad shit that's out there. You fucking lose, chief.

Whereas if you weren't a dick about it, and stumbled on occasion, there is redemption. But it's those people who see it as merely a game, and don't understand how deep it really goes- those are the ones who make me...sad. They are stupid. And one of them has cancer, and the other is a really vile human being (whose vileness is readily on display, and getting a bit of attention). And those are the ones who won't be missed by many when they go. They lose.

3 comments:

zombieswan said...

When I screwed up, recently, at my workplace and ran my mouth, and someone overheard, I was mortified. Why did I have to be so stupid? I wrote a very gracious (with help) apology email to those to whom it applied and I think it helped a lot. I do know that people have long memories, (I know I do!) and that it's hard to forgive because many folks just cannot put themselves in another person's shoes. There's only one person of the group who afterwards did not single me out to say they apreciated my apology, which really was sincere. I should have kept my fool mouth shut. (Unfortunately, the one who hasn't "accepted" my apology formally is Department Head. So. Maybe I shot myself in the foot anyway.)

So yes, it's stupid to be a jerk and you can really lose everything, in a stupid, pointless moment. And I try hard to make the world a better place, which is why my stupid mouthyness was so uncharacteristic of me. Sigh. :)

I have a very close friend who found a lump. So she might have cancer, and she's getting a divorce and has a young daughter. So it can definitely be worse. I hope she's okay. It does make one think.

Anonymous said...

amen sistah. a-motherf*&%ing men!

slyboots2 said...

I don't necessarily think that you were the jerk. It sounds like the Dept head has that role. Seriously- part of being a decent human being is knowing when to accept an apology,and not to continue beating someone up about it. Pity the poor man's wife- she's probably had a rough time of it, if he's that much of a baby. (OW, your words hurt me! I will pout.)

I have no sympathy for that kind of person. Fuckers. They are the type who guard their precious power, and use guilt for effect.

There was a co-worker who treaded where angels fear to tread...you know what I mean...with me recently. I did give her the opportunity to apologize, after clearly telling her why I was pissed. Probably more effort than necessary, but I think it resolved well. Ah, I am a fucking saint.

And I hope your friend with the lump is ok. that is some scary shit.