Saturday, September 16, 2006

Postscript- buying frenzy

It was a shockingly restrained affair, all told. I did NOT buy the 6' Ginger plant for $10. Mainly because I called Kenga, and he said NO. Pick something else out. We have to move in a year or so, and there might be no home for a 6' Ginger plant.

So I purchased about a dozen bromeliads (same family as the pineapple, if you were wondering). The orchids were a disappointment- very common types with inflated prices. SSnnniiiiifffff. For those who don't know- I'm a huge orchid collector, with over 200 plants to my name. So I'm a leetle selective round about now, as I have limited space, and really want the best for the buck.

And the book sale that the Friends of the Library puts on was almost a bust. But I found the catalog to a Byzantine art exhibition at the Metropolitan (out of print and over $60 on half.com) for $20. So that was good. The place was amok with hundreds of rabid book-loving people. Kind of scary, really. All buying shopping bags of crap. I don't get it. I guess I've worked in too many bookstores, and am just selective. And I've hauled around dozens of boxes of books for too damned long to want more...just...crappy...cheap...books.

And now I'm home. All shopped out. Ready to tackle Russian cinema. Interesting factoid- the hero of Alexander Nevsky is the same guy as the lead actor in Ivan the Terrible- I thought he looked very familiar, and his general wooden acting with the piercing stare (very dramatic, I must say) was the same. I love Imdb.com. And the heroine in the movie has birthin hips and a double chin. I LOVE Eisenstein! (and Einstein).

No comments: