Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Crackofy me up

I got to attend a trade show for people in my particular bidness. All revolving around planning events. And such.

Plenty of free food. Some swag. I got a pen with the space needle in it- and a moving elevator. From the space needle people. Imagine that. I ate a date that was stuffed with marzipan. It was almost a religious experience. Then I had another.

The funny part.

There were several "high end" businesses there. Namely a florist and a caterer and a locale. Funny thing about it. Rather than be the good sales crew, and look at my nametag, not my shoes, they totally chilled me. Totally. Must be the converses. It was funny. Because plenty of others saw the nametag and the dollar signs and were just wonderful. I like to think that some of them are just plain nice people, to boot.

Gee- guess who I won't be calling- ever- to host or participate in events in my group? I dunno- the fuckers who live in snobsville.

Seriously- don't they clue in that where I work doesn't have a dress code, per se? Seriously. How would they treat the Dev guys? Some of whom don't exactly "dress" in a fashion that is recognizably dressing. (today I rode in the elevator with a guy in his GREEN outfit- Green Nikes, Green sweat pants, Green sweat shirt. GREEN, I tell you.)

Kenga works across the street from the florist. I should have him leave a bag of burning cat crap on their doorstep. That would be funny. And would no doubt wreak havoc on their Gucci loafers.

The saddest lady was the baloon lady. At the booth with all of the scary baloon sculptures. She was in costume. She was a lady pirate. She was having one of the worst days of her life. No one stopped. She made me sad. But I hated her baloon sculptures. They freaked me the fuck out.

7 comments:

(S)wine said...

see now, here's the rub.
i always ALWAYS look at a man's shoes first.
they tell me exactly who/how he is.
of course, this may not work for women.
that's my barometer.

Anonymous said...

YOU'RE a lady pirate!!!! HahahahA!!!!!!!! Hahahaha!!!!!

slyboots2 said...

Now see the shoes thing. I get it to a point, but come from a place where a man's shoes might be covered with cow shit. And he would be a multi-millionare and a really wonderful human being. Hell, a woman's shoes might be covered in cow shit, and ditto. Might work in the city, though. Unless there are too many dogs. Then dog shit will be a factor.

And I AM indeed a lady pirate. I just keep it on the down low.

(S)wine said...

they all might be wonderful (although i have yet to find a multi-millionaire who is truly a wonderful human being--how about you? what's your experience with that?) around that neck of the woods. i heard people 'round there are of a better stock than most inner-city East Coast-ers.

slyboots2 said...

Several relatives.

My friend's parents.

Numerous clients and customers throughout the years at retail and service industry jobs.

It's more the rule than not- especially if they're either from there, or if they've gone fully native.

The insufferable ones are the tourist types- buy a home in a place like MT and spend a couple weekends a year there. They tend towards the jackass end of things.

I think it might just be staying in touch with your essential humanity- and recognizing that same humanity in others. I see the problems with disregarding both at work and on the East Side here from time to time. It just makes me sad, because I think it really closes people off from the good that can be in others, and triggers hostility and mistrust instead. But what the hell do I know- I'm just a 40 year old woman wearing Converses! :) (I hate emoticons, but will use them when tone dictates.)

(S)wine said...

you have to switch to Adidas Sambas.
i wear mine w/suits.
'cause i'm all hip like that.
(insert winking emoticon here)

slyboots2 said...

Can't afford them yet. But an upgrade might be in the future. Stay tuned. In every manner that you can think of.