Thursday, September 07, 2006

Images on my retinas

Flying eastward, with a view to the north- fields like a quilt (cliche, I know), with labrynthine patterns carved on them by industrious (and likely bored) farmers- fields as far as I can see. Nothing blocking the North Pole. Endless and deceptively inhospitable plains...

The view from above the hometown- shows the smelter in the east, with the blinking smokestack beacons that I watched as a child- and the small section of mature trees east of there where my dead sleep...

The skunks in the field across from my mother's house- eating something that came up when they cut the hay the day before- then seeing the same skunks eating the kitty food on the driveway...

The deer and her fawn bedding down in the yard, until I startle them by opening the blinds in my room...

Flying westward, with a northern view again- seeing an enormous forest fire in the Cascades- it was breeding weather- a large cumulus cloud rising above- and one further north- visible in the low-lying haze of smoke...

Viewing familiar landmarks from the air- work, highways, home neighborhood- as a way of re-establishing my ties...

2 comments:

(S)wine said...

...to what?

Anonymous said...

Stealthy Slyboots says:

home and my life.