Sunday, September 10, 2006

I gots the pain

It is with a heavy heart that I report that Michael Schumacher announced his retirement today. I have been crying. Seriously. This really gets me. I am a fan. I am Fucosi.

For those requiring a refresher course- Michael is the winningest Formula 1 driver of all time, with a total of 7 world championships under his belt, and likely an 8th this year. And I adore him beyond reason. I won a $10 bet that he would announce retirement- a bet that I would've been happier losing. But I just knew that it would happen.

He is 37. With more money than god. And it'll be interesting to see what happens. He's being replaced at Ferrari by Kimi Raikonnen- who is an amazing driver, apparently solely lacking in personality. So. That oughta be interesting.

I realize that the vast majority of people out there don't give a rat's ass. But it matters to me. I'm just very glad I got at least one chance to see him race in person.

Now I will go. It's time to water my plants (which takes about 2.5 hours- they're orchids.) And hopefully that will cheer me up a bit.

2 comments:

(S)wine said...

the irony of this would be that he gets killed in a car crash driving his fucking minivan full o' kids (does he even have any?) to the seaside. the gods have a sense of humour, you know.

slyboots2 said...

That thought had occurred to me. He has two little kids and allegedly is a really great family man. So maybe he'll see them grow up. It's not like he's the risk-averse type- he'll no doubt take up some kind of life-threatening pursuit.

But the Fucosi grieve.