Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The trip

When I was 5 we took a family roadtrip. It was allegedy for my birthday- and because at that age I bought into the idea that the world revolved around me- I believed them.

We took my grandfather's old 60's blue Suburban to California and Mexico. It had a matress in the back for me to sleep on. It was chock full of Montanans. My mother, aunt, aunt's sister and brother were all there. We picked up my dad and uncle in Utah, where they were doing something with the Guard (it was during the Vietnam War, doncha know- and they had to avoid the draft somehow...).

We drove very early in the morning- I remember it as the first time I was up and dressed that early. I was cranky. I was cold- it was chilly that early. I was wearing my new yellow suit- some kind of odd early 70's fabric- kind of spongy. It got unbearable once we hit the heat in Southern Utah later. No air conditioning.

I remember driving by a couple of hippies. Hitchhiking in the desert. Wearing tatty clothes. I hadn't seen their like before- not common back home. My mother was upset that they had a baby with them. In the desert. Very upset- or I wouldn't remember it. She wanted to pick them up. Said we had enough people and firearms to handle it. But we didn't.

First stop was Disneyland. I've never been back. I don't want to cut the memory of magic with reality at this age. But I hear that the re-vamped Pirates ride is worth it- full-sized Johnny Depp simulacron and all. But it was amazing. Caught up with Uncle Steve and Aunt Liz- two old, very crazy relatives (lived alone, religious fanatics who never married- took care of their mother until she died in the early 60's- had her clothes in the house until they died- in the 90's). Took them to Disneyland too. They enjoyed it as much as I did. Saw Kenny Rogers and the First Edition playing. I remember by dad being pretty happy about that. I didn't like most of their songs- depressing.

I remember loving the Small World ride most of all. Next was the whale with the town in it- I think it had something to do with Pinocchio. Then I loved the submarine that went under the lagoon. I don't think it is out there anymore. I wasn't allowed on any of the really scary rides. I don't think that the Haunted House was open yet. But I did see the Matterhorn- and want to ride it. The closest I got was floating above it on the gondola.

I got a baloon with a pink Mickey sub-baloon in it. During the fireworks show, I let it go- and cried when it floated away. I got an odd little wooden doll- allegely representing Poland. She had green hair, for some reason. I don't know what ever happened to her. She had no arms- was just a painted piece of turned wood.

The hotel had bright pink doors. I thought that this was wonderful. I remember meeting a dying Aunt- Rose- who was actually...lying in bed dying. She had a doll collection. I spent what felt like 5 minutes looking at her dolls. But I'm told it was about an hour. Not sure who to believe there.

Then we went to San Diego.

2 comments:

(S)wine said...

i like aunt rosie.

slyboots2 said...

I did too. She died rather young. It did skeeve the hell out of me to meet a dying person at that age.