Monday, October 16, 2006

Do I buy in?

That's the $50 question du jour. Actually probably worth more, but that's what's in the budget.

You see, the conundrum is as follows: I have a job. I love said job. It is challenging, fun, and pays decently. Not a perfect job by any means. That doesn't exist. But good enough. Now for the tricky part. It is a contract position. And my contract ends in December. There is a very good likelihood of it being extended, or of being hired on. Nice, no? Well, there is something. I haven't fully clicked into the culture. I keep feeling a deep inner resistence to allowing this thing to fully take over my life. Like I see it doing to all of those around me. Dedicated doesn't begin to sum it up. Now I don't mind a crunch time now and then, but I do mind a crunch life. That ain't gonna cut it. And that's what I see everywhere around me. And I find it disturbing. Because I don't see the payoffs. Just the stress that keeps me awake. And keeps me angry whilst battling traffic- because my life is much more important than these idiots in the other cars. And I hate that. I hate thinking that this is the be all and end all. I know better. But it's so damned easy to get sucked in. Especially when I really like everyone else. I just get the sneaking suspicion that not every temp job is this bloody difficult- and not every temp worker is trying this fucking hard.

And then there's the possiblity of the bait and switch. If they do extend my contract, I can only get re-upped for one more 6 month stint. Then I would have to either be hired on full time, or be out. And I mean out. For 100 days. Away from the company. Which would really suck. Because I can't afford 3+ months unemployed again. I don't think that these people would willingly do this to me- but it could happen. Because there is plenty beyond their control in the world.

So, do I buy in? Or do I keep that little kernel of scepticism intact...and keep reminding myself- it's not for real. Smoke and mirrors. And probably not permanent, despite my desires, and the noise everyone else around me is making...

I just want to crawl back in bed and avoid the whole damned thing this morning....

5 comments:

Bill Edmonson said...

Here this is easy! Remain skeptical and don't buy in, while you act as if you are completely comfortable and will be there forever. Then if they fire you; "I saw it coming!", and if they keep you; "I always knew it was meant to be!"

Also try juggling 5 flaming torches while riding a unicycle in a perfect figure eight, as you recite the Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll.

Anonymous said...

I agree with bill e. boy. But, in case that doesn't agree with you, I suggest a special Andrea Made remedy...eat a cookie and take a nap. Don't set an alarm. Everything should be much better when you get up:). Oh, and be sure to pet a small furry animal upon rising. That shouldn't be *too* hard for you....:)

(S)wine said...

i don't understand.
you profess your undying love for this...JOB, and then go on to list the usual bullshit that goes with a...JOB.

here's my take.
buy into it.
'cause all these fuckers are the same.
that is, they all aim to take over your life, sooner or later.
so if you like it even an inkling, then buy into it.
because if you don't, you'll be forced to buy into something truly shitty and evil.
you'll be squeezed by the balls and you won't have to make a decision--you'll have to just take it.

slyboots2 said...

I guess that it's all a symptom of my unresolved commitment phobia re. employment. No problems with human relationships- committed just fine there. But big problem with the job thing. Really, really big problem. Makes me jittery. I gotta go have some wine- I'm all freaked out just thinking about it. Man.

(S)wine said...

i should clarify.
"all these fuckers" refer to jobs, in general, not people.
good luck.
stay strong.